Sunday, May 10, 2009

Neo

(NAY-oh) gift

I hadn't intended to write so soon, but I have had an interesting weekend.

Saturday morning we went as a group to a program that someone at another placement had found out about. Like most programs here, this was an OVC program - that is, Orphans and Vulnerable Children. It was run by phenomenal, young staff, both paid and volunteer, and was just a Saturday morning program with mostly sports and games.

The children ranged from 2 to about 12. I was having an okay time at first, playing sports with some older kids, but then really enjoyed myself when I abandoned that and just hung out with the littlest ones, we were really too young for organized games anyway. I bonded with a very very cute little boy who sat on my lap. When they asked all of us Canadians to go up front and introduce ourselves, the little one followed me and shrieked at staff who tried to stop him. I couldve brought him home with me then and there...

What was striking to most of us, was watching 7 year olds fully take responsibility for 5 and 3 year olds. And seeing even a 4 year old carrying a baby on her hip. Also, some children were adequately dressed, while others had no shoes and were wearing pyjamas. I really had a great time.

Yessterday afternoon our volunteer coordinator here had a Brai for us - an African barbeque, and it was lovely. Our cook and her daughter were there, and the daughter is learning to do pedicures and manicures, but recently had all her nail polishes stolen. So we donated a bunch, and paid her for pedicures!

This morning we went to church in old Naledi. It was amazing...it was the most beautiful singing I've ever heard, maybe. The only instruments were a hand drum and a tambourine, and the singing was unbelievable and charismatic, and such beautiful harmonies, and surprisingly easy to sing along. If church was like that in Canada, I'd go for sure.

What finally really registered for me at church this morning though, was what it really is to be orphans here. These are things you can't really understand, no matter how much you read about it. As I watched a 4 year old leading in his 2 year old brother by the hand, I realized that orphans here aren't just sad children who've lost their parents...they are children with no adults at all to take care of them, who head households, and care for their own younger siblings. No one told those children to go to church, they just know it is a thing they have to do, and bring the younger ones with them.

I realized, at the same time, that children are capable of so much, but should never have the need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment